The division of land can occur in two ways:
- by consent to severance; or
- by Plan of Subdivision. Plans of Subdivision are regulated by Section 51 of the Ontario Planning Act.
Subdivision approval ensures the following:
- The land is suitable for its proposed new use
- The proposed use conforms with the Official Plan and applicable Zoning By-law
- Impact on surrounding properties and land owners is positive
- The new development does not put any strain on existing services or facilities
Any new subdivision must have a "registered plan of subdivision". This is a legal document that details the exact surveyed boundaries and dimensions of lots, the placement of streets, and the locations of any schools or parks. The plan does not need to show specific building locations or dimensions as these issues are addressed under the Site Plan approval process if necessary.
- Pre-consultation meeting(s) with Planning & Development Services staff.
- Submission of complete application with a draft Plan of Subdivision.
- Review of application, draft plan and required studies and/or reports.
- Circulation to municipal departments and local agencies.
- Notice of Public Meeting mailed to property owners within the circulation area (120 metres) advising of the date and time of the Planning Advisory Committee meeting.
- Staff report is prepared following meetings with applicant and Planning & Development staff, as required.
- PAC recommendation to approve or deny forwarded to Council.
- Council considers recommendation.
- Notice of Decision issued and circulated.
- If the Decision is to approve and no appeals are received, the process proceeds to registration of plan and subdividers' agreement.
- If the Decision is to deny, the developer has the option of appealing to the Ontario Municipal Board, which may or may not support Council's decision.
Application for Draft Plan of Subdivision
Public Works Engineering Services Subdivision/Site Plan Development Guidelines & Technical Standards
Site Alteration Permit
Application for Reduction in Security during Construction
Application for Certificate of Completion
Application for Certificate of Assumption